1 samuel 21 commentary

All Rights Reserved. A Bible Study in EasyEnglish (2800 word vocabulary) on the Book of 1 Samuel. "Detained before the Lord" (1 Samuel 21:7). Verses 1-15 Chapter21 So David now fled to Nob to Ahimelech who was the priest: and Ahimelech was afraid at the meeting of David, and said to him, Why are you alone, why aren"t there men with you? The Son and the Psalm of Hannah (1 Samuel 1:1-2:10) 3. David told Ahimelech a gross untruth. Recorded at the Bible Lessons International studio. If many come in simplicity of heart to serve their God, others come to observe their teachers and to prove accusers. And the servants of Achish said to him, "Is not this David the king of the land? He feigned himself mad — That he might escape out of their hands. This reminds us of what happened once in a big tent revival. DAVID'S IMMEDIATE FLIGHT TO ACHISH; KING OF GATH. 1 Samuel 21:10-15. "How much more today will their vessels be holy" (1 Samuel 21:5). The two episodes recorded in this chapter are quite logically arranged exactly where they occur in our text. 1-samuel 21:2 And David said unto Ahimelech the priest, The king hath commanded me a business, and hath said unto me, Let no man know any thing of the business whereabout I send thee, and what I have commanded … The recognition of David by the Philistines, and their reference to him as "the king of the land" is not, as some critics declare, the result of some naive `editor' putting an inaccurate historical statement into the Bible. More than 60 years may have passed since the death of Eli, Israel’s chief priest (4:18). Samuel and the Sons of Belial (1 Samuel 2:11-36) 4. It is great comfort in a day of trouble, that we have a God to go to, to whom we may open our cases, and from whom we may ask and expect direction. I Samuel 21-24 Listen So, sometimes you act a little extreme to stay alive (I Samuel 21) 1 Then came David to Nob to Ahimelech the priest: and Ahimelech was afraid at the meeting of David, and said unto him, Why art thou alone, and no man with thee? The *Lord calls Samuel. Nob was but a village located a mile or two northeast of Jerusalem near Anathoth (Isaiah 10:32). Cancel any time. God revisited Shiloh! . For I have brought neither my sword nor my weapons with me, because the king's business required haste." Apparently, although 1 Samuel 21 doesn’t detail it, the Philistines captured David when he came to Gath. fled . While much beloved, Hannah was unable to conceive children, a fact that caused her great anguish. Copyright StatementJames Burton Coffman Commentaries reproduced by permission of Abilene Christian University Press, Abilene, Texas, USA. "[16] To which it must be replied that these words mean no such thing. Matthew Henry commented on the reason why David elected to go to Nob. So he changed his behavior before them, and feigned himself mad in their hand, and made marks on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle run down his beard. This severely frightened David, and he immediately began feigning madness. Doeg would certainly have notified Saul of David's presence there. Now David came to Nob, to Ahimelech the priest. We appreciate the words of Keil regarding this chapter to the effect that, "It removes the objections raised by critics to the historical credibility of the narrative before US. Matthew Henry’s Bible Commentary (concise), Matthew Henry Bible Commentary (complete), California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. David had reason to put confidence in Achish, yet he began to be afraid. "These words are an idiom meaning, `To be allowed to dwell in one's city or country. Speaking of Jesus, the writer of Hebrews says that "He had to be made like His brethren in all thin… Ahitub was a brother of Ichabod, making Ahimelech a great grandson of Eli. He says, “When I thought how to understand this, it was too painful for me; until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end. Samuel, Saul and David. "[15] This fact also supports the figures given in the Bible for the weight of Goliath's armour, figures which were dismissed by one `scholar' as `pure guesswork.' "It is not impossible that Doeg was detained in the sanctuary for some crime. For example, the International Critical Commentary rejects the arrangement in this chapter, affirming that, "David had ample time to furnish himself for flight, after Jonathan bade him farewell,"[2] supposing that this journey of David to Nob must have happened that night when Michal let him down through the window. Go to, To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, "No common bread ... but there is holy bread", "If only the young men have kept themselves from women", "How much more today will their vessels be holy", "The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the valley of Eiah", "It is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod", "And David arose and fled that day from Saul", "Is not this David the king of the land? The Son of David taught from it, that mercy is to be preferred to sacrifice; that ritual observances must give way to moral duties. David thought upon it afterward with regret. "[11] Payne thought that, "Doeg was unclean that day, and waiting to perform some religious obligation the next day. "Then came David to Nob to Ahimelech the priest; and Ahimelech came to meet David trembling, and said to him, "Why are you alone, and no one with you"? The monarchy of Israel begins with a narrative of despair and humility. And the priest said, "The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the valley of Elah, behold, it is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod; if you will take that, take it, for there is none but that here." David thought he could find anonymity or sympathy among the ungodly Philistines in Gath, but he was wrong. Give me five loaves of bread, or whatever is here." (1) Keil supposed that, "The error was due to a lapse of memory in which Ahimelech was confounded with Abiathar. That David fled at once from Nob was no doubt due to the presence there of Doeg. And Ahimelech was afraid when he met David, and said to him, "Why are you alone, and no one is with you?" 1 Samuel Chapter 21 Summary Things seemed okay until one little problem popped up on the screen. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 21:4". A. David meets Ahimelech the priest at Nob. "It is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod" (1 Samuel 21:9). They merely refer to David's continued flight from Saul. First Samuel begins with an account of Hannah, the wife of Elkanah. Doeg set his foot as far within the tabernacle as David did. (1) He would be the chief actor in the destruction of the entire company of the priests at Nob; and (2) David's recognition of him meant that David was required to get out of Nob as rapidly as possible. Critical commentators waste much of their energies questioning the chronological arrangement of the various episodes from the life of David that are recorded in First Samuel, overlooking the important fact that the inspired author of this Biblical document does not claim that he has set down all of these incidents in the chronological order of their occurrence. This, of course gave him the opportunity to escape and keep the rendezvous with his men. The priests of Nob had every opportunity to weigh it. It was holy from the fact of its being used in the tabernacle and only the priests were eligible to eat it. It is great comfort in a day of trouble, that we have a God to go to, to whom we may open our cases, and from whom we may ask and expect direction. Therefore, it is just as logical to place the journey to Nob after 1 Samuel 20 as it is to place it after 1 Samuel 19. Had he trusted God aright, he would not have used such a sorry, sinful shift for his own preservation. "[5] The great prophet of the Lord Samuel as well as the prince had proved powerless to protect David. The bread was a featured provision of the tabernacle and was replaced each week with hot bread. When his life stood in jeopardy, David went (1) first to Samuel; (2) then to his beloved Jonathan the prince; when neither of these could provide safety for him, what could have been more logical than (3) his going to see the High Priest in the tabernacle of the Lord at Nob. Eighty-five priests lived at Nob, serving the tabernacle which had been set up there following the Philistine's destruction of Shiloh. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? This is a reference to the Showbread, or the bread of the Presence as prescribed in the Mosaic Law (Exodus 24:5-9). Hither David resorted, for a supply of his necessities, which he supposed he might receive here, without danger of being betrayed into Saul's hands: and principally, that in this great distress, he might receive comfort and counsel from the Lord. Here is David, anointed to be king; destined to rule over great lands and wealth, but living in caves on the run begging for food and fearing for his life. (1 Samuel 20:38). Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary 21:1-9 David, in distress, fled to the tabernacle of God. And the priest answered David, "I have no common bread at hand, but there is holy bread; if only the young men have kept themselves from women." Anointed! "[7] (2) Young writes that, "It is possible that Ahimelech's son Abiathar might have acted as coadjutor to his father as did the sons of Eli (1 Samuel 4:4). Anointed and Alone 1 Samuel 21:1-13/ Psalms 56:1-13 The Bible never flatters its heroes. "Coffman Commentaries on the Old and New Testament". (Read 1 Samuel 21:1-9) David, in distress, fled to the tabernacle of God. (Psalm 73:16-17). 21 Then came David to Nob to Ahimelech the priest: and Ahimelech was afraid at the meeting of David, and said unto him, Why art thou alone, and no man with thee? On that night with Michal, David had all night until the next morning to have prepared for such a journey; and presumably from his own home would have been able not only to carry his sword, but also any provisions he wished to take. Those could have been let down by Michal as easily as she let down David outside the city wall. 1 samuel 21 commentary 1. Doeg was an Edomite, and the descendants of Esau were a continual thorn in Israel's flesh. And David said, "There is none like that; give it to me.". This evil character is mentioned here for two reasons. 1 Samuel 8:19 - Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us; 1 Samuel 8:20 - That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles.

Evaporated Milk Custard Pie, Where To Buy Slugs, Can Bees Hear Music, Weighted R Squared Excel, Taylor 522ce 12-fret V-class Review, Stair Treads Canadian Tire, Plugins And Delivery Vehicles In Multimedia, Housing Portland, Oregon,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *